1/23 Photos of Italian Anise Cookies With Icing and Sprinkles
1 hr 10 mins
These delicate cake-like cookies are glazed with icing and topped with colorful candy sprinkles. They have a mild anise flavoring, which is very typical of Italian baked goods. My family always served these cookies at holidays, weddings or special celebrations, but now that I know the recipe, I can enjoy them all year long!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons anise extract (or almond extract)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (may need up to 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 2For cookies, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add anise extract.
- 3Blend flour and baking powder. Start by adding about 1/3 of these dry ingredients to the butter/sugar in your mixer, then add 1 T. milk. Add another third of the flour and another 1 T. milk. Finally, mix in enough of the remaining flour until your dough is like a brownie batter (it should be softer than a drop cookie dough).
- 4Use a 1 T. cookie scooper to make simple round drop cookies - use wet fingers to pat any rough edges OR for an Easter-Egg look, roll 1 T. dough into an elongated ball.
- 5Bake cookies 10-12 minutes (they won't be brown but the insides will be soft and cake-like).
- 6For icing: mix sugar, milk and extract to make a sugar glaze. HINT: When I make the icing, I make it thick but then I microwave it for 10 seconds so it is thin enough for dipping. Also, I like to divide the mixture in thirds, and then add ONE DROP of food coloring to each batch (pink, green, yellow).
- 7Hold cookie in your hand and turn upside down so you can dip the top half in the glaze; turn over and immediately top with sprinkles so they will stick.
- 8Allow icing to harden overnight; then store in air-tight containers or freeze.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Anise Cookies With Icing and Sprinkles
Serving Size: 1 (25 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.2
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 54.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 1.3 g