Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Rachael Ray
Top Review by Likkel
This was amazingly good! I only had regular pork sausage patties (I can't wait to try it with the Italian sausge!), but I followed the directions exactly and it was absolutely excellent. Everyone (ages 12 to 56) who had one raved about it! I will definately make these again and again! Thanks for the great, easy recipe!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 italian sweet sausage patties (1/2 lb.) or 2 italian hot sausage patties (1/2 lb.)
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, thinly sliced (or 1 cubanelle pepper, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 small onion, thinly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 slices Italian bread (thin slices)
- 4 slices provolone cheese (deli-sliced)
- 1 cup marinara sauce or 1 cup pizza sauce or 1 cup tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add in 1 tablespoon olive oil and the sausage patties.
- Cook the patties 4 minutes on each side; then remove from the pan.
- Add another tablespoon olive oil to the pan; then add the bell peppers, onions, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but still have a bite to them.
- Pile the veggies on the patties and return pan to the stove.
- Add butter to the pan; let butter melt.
- Add 2 slices bread, top each with a slice of cheese, a sausage patty, some peppers and onions, another slice of cheese, then the remaining slices of bread.
- Press and cook patty melts 2 or 3 minutes on each side.
- Warm a cup of marinara sauce, pizza sauce, or tomato sauce in the microwave (1 ½ minutes on HIGH).
- Cut sandwiches corner to corner and serve with sauce for dipping.