Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Rachael Ray
Make and share this Italian-American Sausage Patty Melts recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 italian sweet sausage patties (1/2 lb.) or 2 italian hot sausage patties (1/2 lb.)
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, thinly sliced (or 1 cubanelle pepper, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 small onion, thinly sliced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 slices Italian bread (thin slices)
- 4 slices provolone cheese (deli-sliced)
- 1 cup marinara sauce or 1 cup pizza sauce or 1 cup tomato sauce
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add in 1 tablespoon olive oil and the sausage patties.
- Cook the patties 4 minutes on each side; then remove from the pan.
- Add another tablespoon olive oil to the pan; then add the bell peppers, onions, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but still have a bite to them.
- Pile the veggies on the patties and return pan to the stove.
- Add butter to the pan; let butter melt.
- Add 2 slices bread, top each with a slice of cheese, a sausage patty, some peppers and onions, another slice of cheese, then the remaining slices of bread.
- Press and cook patty melts 2 or 3 minutes on each side.
- Warm a cup of marinara sauce, pizza sauce, or tomato sauce in the microwave (1 ½ minutes on HIGH).
- Cut sandwiches corner to corner and serve with sauce for dipping.
This was amazingly good! I only had regular pork sausage patties (I can't wait to try it with the Italian sausge!), but I followed the directions exactly and it was absolutely excellent. Everyone (ages 12 to 56) who had one raved about it! I will definately make these again and again! Thanks for the great, easy recipe!
These were so tasty and quick. The cheese makes them so much better than the usual pepper and sausage sandwich.
EXCELLENT. Absolutely amazing tastes. I used 2 half-pound packages of sweet/mild Italian sausage, and 1 half-pound package of the hot. I'm a big fan of the "traditional" Italian sausage and peppers sandwich, and this is just an improvement on a good thing. I really enjoyed the addition of the cheese and the toasted bread. The only challenge I encountered was because I used a narrow loaf of bread, so I had to creatively put together the sandwich, and I also made larger patties, so flipping the sandwich in the pan was a bit tricky. NO LEFTOVERS around here!