Prep 1 hr
Cook 384 hrs
For the slow cooker; better to make the sauce ahead of time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 (35 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 thick center-cut pork chops, trimmed of fat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Make the sauce: in a large saute pan over med-high heat, add in the oil.
- To the hot oil, add the onion, carrots, garlic, and celery; stir/saute for about 5 minutes, until soft but not brown.
- Transfer vegetables to the slow cooker and add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, and fennel; season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 8 hours; transfer sauce to a covered container.
- Make the chops: combine the flour and salt in a zip-lock plastic bag.
- Put the eggs in a shallow dish.
- Dip each chop into the eggs to coat thoroughly.
- One at a time, place the chops in the bag; shake until evenly coated.
- Place a large saute pan over med-high heat and add in the oil.
- Add in the pork chops and cook, turning, for about 15 minutes, until browned on both sides.
- Place the chops in the slow cooker and pour 4 cups of the sauce over the top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- Place a chop on each plate and generously spoon the sauce over the top.