Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
--Adopted Recipe-- Preparation time does not include rising time.
- 5 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup almonds (ground)
- Using 2 cups warm water dissolve yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all ingredients, except flour and almonds. Mix well.
- Add 3 cups flour and beat till smooth.
- Add almonds and enough additional flour till dough is easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured board, knead bread till smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl then turn 180 degrees to where the greased side is up, cover and let stand in a warm place.
- When bread dough has risen and doubled in size (50-60 minutes), punch down and divide in half.
- Form each half into a loaf and place each into greased bread pans. Let dough rise till doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees in a pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes. Baking times may vary. To test, tap top of bread with finger. It should make a hollow sound. The loaves should look shiny and golden brown.
- Remove from pans and brush with warm butter.