Recipe by Nif
Mmmm... mozzarella! Try this grilled cheese sandwich with the Italian twist! If you haven't tried it before, pesto is one of the best condiments to use on a hot sandwich. Instead of cooking the sandwiches in a skillet, you can use your panini press just as easily. This recipe is from a Canadian cheese magazine. Enjoy!
Top Review by Annacia
Do I fess up or not? Ok, I'll acknowledge being a slacker after reading the other reviews. I used everything store bought: fire roasted peppers in a jar, pesto, cheeses and bread. I don't even feel at all guilty about it. The sandwich was very tasty and quite easy, lol. I don't always have all of these things on hand but when I do this will be making a return performance. Lots of good flavor from a few ingredients. :D
- 4 panini bread
- 6 1⁄2 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 2 grilled bell peppers, sliced (from the jar or homemade)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice paninis in half. Spread pesto onto each half.
- Evenly distribute both cheeses and peppers on four bottom halves and top with four top halves.
- Heat skillet over medium-low heat.
- Cook sandwiches approximately 5 minutes on each side while applying pressure to flatten them.
- Sandwich is ready when bread is browned and cheese is melted.