Recipe by VivianNP
A hearty moist oatmeal muffin that "sticks to your ribs". I cooked this up one cold wet rainy spring morning when I needed something to really warm me up.
Top Review by Legna
I added extra raisins, & they were very good. I thought it would rise a little better than it did (only reason I didn't give it 5 stars), but very tasty. Will make again.<br/>Made for Spring PAC 2013.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soft vegan margarine, melted
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the water, vinegar and salt in a blender.
- Add 1/4 cup of the walnuts (reserve the other 1/4 cup to add to the batter later).
- Blend this mixture on high for about a minute. This is your nice, slightly nutty tasting "buttermilk" for your muffins.
- Pour your walnut "milk" into a large bowl. Add the oats and stir to blend. Let set about 10 minutes.
- Add the applesauce, brown sugar and margarine to the oatmeal mixture. Mix well.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder together. Add these dry ingredients to the wet oatmeal mixture. Mix until well blended.
- Stir in the raisins and remaining walnuts. Spoon mixture into muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool and Serve!