Recipe by Mirj
Created as part of the Ready Set Cook #3 contest. Ground chicken is just as easy to use as ground beef, and healthier! Prep time includes the time it takes to cook the pasta.
Top Review by jamie fox
Delightful recipe, but we cooked the chicken in the microwave, which reduces the fat (no oil required). After cooking in microwave, you can also drain some of the fat from the bowl.
- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked until al dente,drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the ground chicken and brown, stirring constantly.
- When the chicken has cooked through, add the tomato sauce, brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook, stirring every 2 minutes or so, until the red stuff in the pot has cooked down to a velvety sauce.
- Mix the pasta with the sauce, distributing it evenly.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Top with the pine nuts (these can be toasted lightly first in a dry frying pan over medium heat, just take care they don't burn, and pine nuts burn easily, so be careful).
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, until heated through.