Recipe by Vina
This is a Recipezaar 2005 adoptee. It sounded like an easy vegetarian dinner that my whole family would like. The original stated that this recipe came from "The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites".
Top Review by Pat Peper
Loved this dish. It made a great change to eat a purely vegan dinner. However, next time, I would reduce the cinnamon to 1/8 tsp. as not everyone is a fan of cinnamon in a main dish.
- 1 small cabbage, cut vertically into 6 wedges (do not remove core)
- 4 large carrots (cut each into 3 chunks)
- 2 medium zucchini, unpeeled (cut each in half crosswise, then in half lengthwise)
- 2 medium onions, quartered vertically
- 2 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into eighths
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup couscous, uncooked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Put cabbage wedges in a large soup pot.
- Put carrots, zucchini, onions, potatoes and chickpeas on top.
- Pour broth on top, and add garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- When vegetables are almost ready, bring water to boil in a small saucepan.
- Stir in couscous, cinnamon and cumin.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Place a mound of couscous in the centre of each soup bowl.
- Arrange vegetables and chickpeas around couscous.
- Spoon broth on top.
- Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.