1/1 Photo of Israeli Shakshuka
1 hr 15 mins
Delicious typical Israeli breakfast, that really can be eaten as lunch or even dinner! Sauce can be made in a advance to be reheated at the time that eggs are done. In this recipe, I've reduced the amount of oil used to make it low fat, but you can use more if you need to.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 extra large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 26 1/2 ounces pomi brand chopped tomatoes (nothing works like this!)
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 6 large eggs (or as many as will fit on your sautÃƒ pan)
- 1You need a large nonstick deep sauté pan that has a cover. Sauté onions in olive oil until opaque and tender.
- 2Add red bell pepper and continue sauteeing until it softens up.
- 3Reduce heat to low. Add the fresh chopped tomatoes, cook until they are breaking apart.
- 4With a slotted spoon, add the chunkiest parts of the contents of the "Pomi" - the majority of the sauce should remain in the carton. Add the jalapeno now also.
- 5Cook for 30-40 minutes, partially cover, and stir every once in a while. If it starts to look dry, add some of the sauce from the carton, slowly , as you need it. Add the salt and pepper - I like a lot because I love salt on tomatoes.
- 6The final product should be a thick sauce that just looks like a whole lot of tomatoes stuck together - with very little to no juice, that is about 1-1 1/2 inches high.
- 7Crack open the eggs on top of the shakshuka, one by one, giving each their own space. The whites should overlap, but the yolk should be spaced about 4 fingerwidths from each other. My pan can fit 6-8 eggs very comfortably.
- 8Cover tightly with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Israeli Shakshuka
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.0
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 84.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 8.7 g