1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I love this recipe and it goes very well with Latkes and applesauce for a yummy Hanukkah meal. The original recipe that I posted here is for duck but I have made this with a roaster chicken with wonderful results. From New Jewish Cooking by Elizabeth Wolf Cohen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2267.96-2721.55 g ducklings
- salt and pepper
- 1 orange, quartered
- 14.79 ml light brown sugar
- 177.44 ml orange juice
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 14.79 ml flour
- 177.44 ml chicken stock or 177.44 ml water
- 14.79 ml cider vinegar or 14.79 ml distilled white vinegar
- 14.79 ml orange marmalade
- 1Rinse duck under cold water and pat dry inside and out. Remove excess fat from the bird.
- 2Season bird, inside and out, with salt and pepper and prick skin with a fork several times to allow fat to escape. Place orange quarters in cavity.
- 3In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and 1 teaspoon salt with 4 tablespoons orange juice.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5Place the sliced onion and carrot into a roasting pan and place duck on a rack on top.
- 6Roast duck 30 minutes then remove from oven. Pour off fat, prick skin again and baste with the orange juice mixture.
- 7Continue cooking, basting it and pouring off the fat every 20 minutes until it is well browned and skin is crisp, 1 1/2 hours or until it is done.
- 8Remove the duck to a platter and cover with foil. Let stand 15 minutes.
- 9Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring and scraping the drippings from the pan about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining orange juice, chicken stock, vinegar and marmalade.
- 10Bring to a boil and simmer until well blended and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 11To serve, quarter the duck, or carve to your liking. Serve the gravy on the side.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Israeli Roast Duck (Or Chicken)
Serving Size: 1 (732 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1242.1
- Calories from Fat 560
- Total Fat 62.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 773.1 mg
- Sodium 557.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 141.2 g