This recipe was adapted from Veganomics: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. They write that it is Turkish inspired and suggest serving it with grilled vegetables or sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, and/or red pepper. It sounds good to me, but I love cardamom and cinnamon. Thank you Citruholic and LA Kate for your helpful reviews! Use Veggie broth if you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups israeli couscous
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 -3 pinches black pepper, several pinches
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1/4 cup mint, fresh and chopped and divided
- 1/2 cup dried apricot, chopped to raisin size
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1Preheat a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium-low heat.
- 2Place the garlic and oil in the pan and saute for 1 minute.
- 3Add the couscous, raise the heat to medium, and stir constantly for 4 minutes; the couscous should start to toast-- add the cinnamon stick, cumin, cardamom, pepper, and salt to toast a bit-KEEP stirring for another one to two minutes.
- 4Add broth and lime zest.
- 5Raise the heat and bring to a boil.
- 6Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat again to as low as possible and cover.
- 7In about 10 minutes, most of broth should have been absorbed.
- 8Add 2 tablespoons of the mint, and the apricots, pistachios, and lime juice.
- 9Stir, cover again, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- 10At this point, the broth should be thoroughly absorbed.
- 11Remove the cinnamon stick, fluff the couscous with a fork, garnish with the remaining mint, and serve.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Israeli Couscous With Pistachios and Apricots
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.5
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 771.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 18.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
limes, zest of