1/3 Photos of Israeli Couscous With Chunky Tomato Sauce
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. Try whole wheat couscous for nutritional boost. Can be used to top polenta or pasta. Quick and easy and very low-fat. Saffron is very good but very expensive and some grocery stores only sell it from behind a counter. From Vegetarian Times Cooks Mediterranean. Have not made this yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 pinch saffron, crushed
- 1 -2 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (1 teaspoon dired)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1In small saucepan heat 1 1/2 cups broth until simmering. Stir in couscous and saffron.
- 2Remove from heat, cover and let sit until all the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- 3Transfer couscous to baking dish and stir in pine nuts and scallions. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm and set aside. (Note: to toast pine nuts, preheat oven to 350°F and cook for about 5 minutes.).
- 4Heat remaining 1/4 cup broth in medium saucepan over medium heat and cook onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 5Roughly chop tomatoes and add to saucepan with their juice.
- 6Add basil, thyme and red pepper flakes.
- 7Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- 8Season sauce with salt and pepper and pour over couscous. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Israeli Couscous With Chunky Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.2
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: