Recipe by gailanng
My newfound dish...Couscous! From everydayhealth.
Top Review by Irmgard
I decided to try this dish since I had all of the ingredients on hand. Overall, a very tasty dish - both of us liked the combination of flavours very much. I don't think, though, that 10 minutes is sufficient cooking time as some of the couscous was still hard in places. Next time, I would increase the cooking time by maybe 5 minutes and add another half cup of liquid.
- 2 cups water
- 1 3⁄4 cups asparagus, diagonally cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth, fat and salt-free
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup couscous, such as Israeli couscous
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts, chopped and lightly salted
Directions See How It's Made
- To cook asparagus place water in a medium saucepan; bring water to a boil. Add asparagus, and cook 2 minutes or just until crisp-tender; drain. Place asparagus in ice water 1 minute; drain. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil. Add couscous; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus, black pepper, red bell pepper and cashews. Cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.