My newfound dish...Couscous! From everydayhealth.
Make and share this Israeli Couscous With Asparagus recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups water
- 1 3⁄4 cups asparagus, diagonally cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth, fat and salt-free
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup couscous, such as Israeli couscous
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts, chopped and lightly salted
- To cook asparagus place water in a medium saucepan; bring water to a boil. Add asparagus, and cook 2 minutes or just until crisp-tender; drain. Place asparagus in ice water 1 minute; drain. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil. Add couscous; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus, black pepper, red bell pepper and cashews. Cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
I decided to try this dish since I had all of the ingredients on hand. Overall, a very tasty dish - both of us liked the combination of flavours very much. I don't think, though, that 10 minutes is sufficient cooking time as some of the couscous was still hard in places. Next time, I would increase the cooking time by maybe 5 minutes and add another half cup of liquid.
Nice side dish. I used a large shallot in place of the onion.
This is DELICIOUS!! My first time using Israeli couscous and it is so much better than regular couscous.
The only variation I made to the recipe was to leave out the bell pepper and cashews, which I did not have on hand.
All three of my toddlers ate it up and asked for seconds! Even my husband who does not like regular couscous said it was tasty and had seconds.
I got my Israeli couscous from whole foods. I think it cost me $1 for a cup out of their bulk bins.
Thanks for a great recipe that will definitely be part of my regular rotation!