Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Taken from a magazine, not sure which, but the entry states: "This refreshing dish marries sweet carrots and orange juice with fresh ginger and crushed red pepper" It also includes creamy avocados which give a nice contrast of textures and colors. Cooking time is marinating time.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (2 large oranges)
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium avocados
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, orange juice, raisins, ginger, salt and red pepper. Toss to mix and cover. Marinate in refrigerator at least 1 hour or up to 8.
- To serve, halve avocados and remove pit. Peel and slice into very thin slices. Place a few avocado slices on each plate decoratively and top with carrot mixture.
I used craisins instead of raisins and soaked them in fresh orange juice with pulp and fresh orange zest. I did have fresh ginger, but canned puree ginger is very strong so I cut back a little.A few shakes of cayenne pepper and wow! I served with avocado slices and baked salmon. I would recommend this any day. I also put some sugar in it while marinating in the frig. So easy! Thanks for posting!