Israeli Aubergine and Egg Pate (Vegetarian Chopped Liver)
- Cut the aubergine into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes. Sprinkle with salt and place in a colander and leave for 30 minutes.
- Boil the eggs until hard and then shell them.
- Heat the oil and butter. Cook the onion, covered, until soft. Remove the lid and cook the onion until browned.
- Add the aubergines and garlic and cook for 15 minutes or until the aubergine is soft.
- Put the aubergine and onion mixture into the food processor. Add the eggs, salt and pepper and then pulse until a coarse mixture is formed.
- Chill until required, although I can't resist having a few teaspoons whilst still warm.