Recipe by Missy Wombat
This is the spinach Filling often found in those Turkish savoury pastries known as borekler.
- 750 g fresh spinach or 1 (250 g) package frozen spinach, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (beyaz peynir)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean the fresh spinach well removing damaged or discolour bits.
- Chop coarsely.
- Place fresh spinach in a large pan, cover and put over medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Cook only until wilted.
- Place fresh wilted or defrosted frozen spinach in a sieve and press with the back of a spoon to extract moisture.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Fently fry the onion in the oil until transparent and add this to the spinach with cheese, egg and parsley.
- Combine ingredients thoroughly, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.