1/1 Photo of Ispanak Kavurma (Turkish Spinach)
Courtesy of turkishcookbook.com with only a couple adjustments. I don't usually boil spinach (truthfully?: never) but boiled spinach can be beautiful...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 17 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves, rinsed well if necessary and drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 small roma tomatoes, pureed (or any similar tomato-fresh or canned)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (reduced from one half teaspoon)
- 4 tablespoons water (or beef or chicken broth)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (paprika, cayenne, for ex. I used half of each)
- 1Sauce: Smash the garlic clove with a little bit of salt and combine with the plain yogurt. Set aside.
- 2In a pot boil the spinach for 3 1/2-4 minutes, drain. Squeeze as much water out of the spinach that you can then chop it on a cutting board. I used the sides of the colander to "chop" the spinach with the back of a wide spoon.
- 3Saute the onion in a medium sized pot with olive oil and salt until the onions are lightly browned. (Tip: cut down on dishes: use the same pot that was used to boil the spinach.).
- 4Add the spinach, crushed tomatoes, nutmeg, broth and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Turn the heat off. Allow mixture to cool down for a few minutes.
- 5Arrange spinach on a platter. Place the yogurt sauce on top.
- 6Garnish: heat up the olive oil in a small pan, add in the red pepper and then turn the heat off being careful not to burn!
- 7Drizzle the infused red pepper over the yogurt sauce.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ispanak Kavurma (Turkish Spinach)
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.9
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 7.9 mg
- Sodium 224.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 10.0 g