Recipe by breezermom
Purely a cheese soup....no broccoli or cauliflower! With Stilton, who needs more? (Another blue cheese can be substituted, but it won't be the same quality or taste)
Top Review by mersaydees
This is such a delicious soup! My local grocery did not have Stilton cheese this time, so I used a buttermilk bleu cheese; it was still delicious although I would have preferred the Stilton. I halved this recipe thinking a full batch would be too much; sorry I didn't make the full quantity! As I bet this improves with age. DH very happy over this wonderful and easy to make soup. Will be making this a lot! Thanks, breezer! Made for ZWT8, GB Celebrity Challenge for the Diners, Winers, and Chives.
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, scraped and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 small bay leaf, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb Stilton cheese, crumbled (may use another blue cheese, but the taste will not be quite as good!)
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- black pepper, freshly ground to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion, carrot, celery, and bay leaf in butter in a Dutch oven until the vegetables are tender. Add the flour, stirring well.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the chicken broth and milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add the cheese, mustard, and pepper. Stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly until the cheese melts.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls. Sprinkle with croutons.