Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Purely a cheese soup....no broccoli or cauliflower! With Stilton, who needs more? (Another blue cheese can be substituted, but it won't be the same quality or taste)
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, scraped and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 small bay leaf, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 lb Stilton cheese, crumbled (may use another blue cheese, but the taste will not be quite as good!)
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- Saute the onion, carrot, celery, and bay leaf in butter in a Dutch oven until the vegetables are tender. Add the flour, stirring well.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add the chicken broth and milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Add the cheese, mustard, and pepper. Stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly until the cheese melts.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls. Sprinkle with croutons.
This is such a delicious soup! My local grocery did not have Stilton cheese this time, so I used a buttermilk bleu cheese; it was still delicious although I would have preferred the Stilton. I halved this recipe thinking a full batch would be too much; sorry I didn't make the full quantity! As I bet this improves with age. DH very happy over this wonderful and easy to make soup. Will be making this a lot! Thanks, breezer! Made for ZWT8, GB Celebrity Challenge for the Diners, Winers, and Chives.