Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A straight-forward, everyday, family fruit cake.
- 8 ounces flour
- 4 ounces butter or 4 ounces lard
- 4 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces sultanas
- 4 ounces raisins
- 4 ounces currants
- 1 ounce chopped mixed peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 medium egg, well beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄4 pint milk
- 3 slices candied peel (to garnish)
- Set oven to 350*F or Mark 4.
- Well greate a 2 lb loaf tin.
- In a bowl, rub the fat into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add all the dry ingredients and fruits except the soda and mix well.
- slightly warm the milk in a pan and add the soda. Make a well in the centre of the mixture, add the milk and the well beaten egg and stir thoroughly together.
- Put the mixture into the loaf tin and arrange a few slices of peel along the top.
- Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until nicely brown and a skewer pushed into the center comes our clean.
- Leave to stand for a few minutes and then turn out onto a rack to cool.
This cake has cooked beautifully - and the aroma in my kitchen was to die for - wonderful flavor - not too heavy either, thanks for posting Marie