Isle of Wight Farmhouse Cake
- Set oven to 350*F or Mark 4.
- Well greate a 2 lb loaf tin.
- In a bowl, rub the fat into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add all the dry ingredients and fruits except the soda and mix well.
- slightly warm the milk in a pan and add the soda. Make a well in the centre of the mixture, add the milk and the well beaten egg and stir thoroughly together.
- Put the mixture into the loaf tin and arrange a few slices of peel along the top.
- Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until nicely brown and a skewer pushed into the center comes our clean.
- Leave to stand for a few minutes and then turn out onto a rack to cool.