Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
These spicy doughnuts have a filling of currants rather than the usual red jam.
- 2 lbs strong white flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces lard
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 1⁄2 ounce dried yeast
- 1 1⁄2-2 ounces currants
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- caster sugar, mixed with
- ground cinnamon
- oil (for frying)
- Sift the salt and flour together, then rub in the butter or lard until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and spices.
- Warm the milk, sprinkle over the yeast and leave until frothy.
- Add to the flour and stir to form a firm dough. Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with a clean teacloth and leave in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours to rise.
- Knock back and knead again.
- Form into balls about the size of a small apple. Mix the currants, sugar and cinnamon together, make a small hole in each doughnut, insert a few currants, then close up the hole.
- Leave in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil and deep fry in small batches, turning once, until golden.
- Drain well on paper toweling, then toss in the caster sugar cinnamon mixture.