Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I spent a number of years working as a counselor in refugee shelters. One of the cooks gave me this recipe. It's delicious and even though there is a long list of ingredients, you will probably have most on hand! This is savory comfort food with a bit of a twist!
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar or 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup water
- Prepare chicken, wash and rinse with lemon or vinegar.
- Season with soy sauce and garlic, paprika, oregano, celery salt, cloves, pepper, and rosemary.
- Marinade for 2 to 6 hours.
- Coat chicken in beaten egg and dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken on greased baking sheet.
- Put a speck of butter or margarine on each piece of chicken.
- Bake at 350°F for an hour or until juices run clear.
- When chicken is done, prepare the gravy.
- Heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Sauté onion and peppers.
- Add drippings from chicken.
- Stir in 2 tbsp of breadcrumbs, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and stock or water.
- Serve baked chicken with gravy on top.
- This is a great meal with some roasted potatoes and a fresh green salad.
This is a good recipe - very salty but plenty flavorful. I did not like the gravy, though, so I would not serve it with the chicken next time. I also added 1/4 cup olive oil to the marinade mixture because I did not think 2 Tbsp soy sauce was enough liquid to marinate the 2 lbs of chicken pieces. Overall, a good dish. Marinating the chicken imparts good flavor and keeps the chicken moist through baking. Thanks for posting! Made for Zingo! ZWT3.
I loved the combination of seasonings on this. I wasn't really in love with the gravy, but I think the chicken was just as good without. It's a very interesting, very different flavor that I really enjoyed. Thanks for a great recipe!
Wish there was a half star - this isn't a 3 star but it's not quite a 4 either. It does have nice flavour, but I think it would have been better (nicer presentation & easier to eat) if you used chicken breasts instead of chicken pieces.