1/1 Photo of Island Style Rice and Beans
I found this on a OAMC website, which credits Healthy Meals in Minutes for this recipe. This was pretty easy, and nummy. This could also probably be made in a rice cooker (especially after thawing a frozen batch). I did the stovetop cooking for my two batches separately, since I was baking one batch for dinner and freezing the second. This worked out well for me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked black beans or 15 ounces canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; saute until golden, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add rice and cumin; cook while stirring, for 1 minute.
- 4Stir in beans, tomatoes with liquid, water and hot pepper sauce. Break up the tomatoes with a spoon. Increase the heat to HIGH and bring to a boil.
- 5Transfer rice mixture to a lg. baking dish (11"x7"). Cover and bake until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- 6FOR OAMC: Freeze in a labeled gallon ziploc bag after step 4(after allowing it to cool to room temp.). To serve, thaw in refrigerator, and bake according to directions above.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Island Style Rice and Beans
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 339.5
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 12.5 g