Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A new twist on an old favorite just for RSC#8! The secret is the fresh grated ginger... ;)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup fresh papaya, diced
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice & salt. Cover & cook on low heat until almost all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Add milk & cook uncovered, stirring frequently until about 1/2 the milk is absorbed. Stir in the 1/4c sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and raisins. Continue to cook until the rice is soft & the milk is absorbed.
- Stir in coconut. Gently fold in papaya. Taste & add more sugar, if desired.
- Serve warm or cold.
I made this Island Rice Pudding as an add on side for both a wedding shower & baby shower & people raved. Only difference - I used cocconut creme instead of milk, soaked my raisins in Bacardi's light rum & drained, & added along with papaya fresh pineapple pieces. 2 very smart tricks you did - one, you used Arborio rice (perfect short grain with creamy results - best rice for rissotto also) 2nd the fresh ginger was KEY, nice move!! Enjoyed immensely!
I took evelyn/athens tip & substituted coconut milk for the regular milk in this recipe, then pretty much followed the recipe on down, although I did cut it in half, & I used golden raisins! GREAT TASTING RICE PUDDING, what with the nice combo of raisins, coconut & papaya! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for my tagged partner in Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 14]
FABULOUS~!!! A keeper for sure. After the first 15 minutes, my rice was pretty much cooked. So I just added 1 cup of light coconut milk and let it absorb while I added the rest of the ingredients. Since others had said they didn't care for the papaya, I simply did a sprinkling of papaya on top and it was PERFECT!!! I also subbed Splenda for the sugar and used only 1/4 cup. I can't wait to taste this after it sits for a couple hours.