This is the most awesome pork tenderlion ever!! It is from Bon Appetit and is a very poplular "internet recipe"...(I can't believe no one has posted it here yet!) Posting this for ZWT II, Jamaica! The whole recipe includes the pork and salad, which is a lovely salad, but after making it the first time, I usually just make the pork and skip the salad.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (1 lb) pork tenderloin (approx. weight)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (not light)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Tabasco)
FOR SALAD VINAIGRETTE
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 navel oranges
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves, trimmed (6 cups)
- 4 cups napa cabbage, thinly sliced (from 1 medium head)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2 avocados
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and cinnamon, then coat pork with spice rub.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until just beginning to smoke, then brown pork, turning, about 4 minutes total. Leave pork in skillet.
- Make glaze and roast pork:.
- Stir together brown sugar, garlic, and Tabasco and pat onto top of each tenderloin. Roast in middle of oven until thermometer inserted diagonally in center of each tenderloin registers 140°F, about 20 minutes. Let pork stand in skillet at room temperature 10 minutes. (Temperature will rise to about 155°F while standing.).
- Make vinaigrette while pork roasts:.
- Whisk together juices, mustard, curry powder, salt, and pepper, then add oil in a stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Prepare salad ingredients while pork stands:.
- Cut peel, including white pith, from oranges with a sharp knife, then cut oranges crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Toss spinach, cabbage, bell pepper, and raisins in a large bowl with about 1/4 cup vinaigrette. Halve, pit, and peel avocados, then cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Assemble salad:.
- Cut pork at a 45-degree angle into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Line a large platter with dressed salad and arrange sliced pork, oranges, and avocados in rows on top. Drizzle some vinaigrette over avocados and oranges. Pour any juices from skillet over pork.