Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great yellow rice dish. It is really good with calypso chicken dish that I just posted.
Make and share this Island Peas and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 (10 ounce) package yellow rice mix
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- Combine coconut milk, chicken broth, raisins, and jerk seasoning in medium saucepan. Cover and bring to boil on high.
- Stir rice mix into boiling mixture.
- cover, return to boil, and cook 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to low:cook 20 minutes covered, without stirring, or until rice is tender.
- Stir in peas cover and cook 5-6 minutes until peas are heated.
I am preparing this rice recipe for my co-workers today. I was intrigued by the ingredients. I thought it was salty at first until I threw the peas in. It is a very colorful dish and mother said it was delicious. The jury is still out for me. Cook time is not long enough, I would honestly cook it another 10 minutes, 20 minutes even if you are making this for a large group. I plan to make again just tweaking a few things.
This is a very colorful dish that is attractive on the plate. A nice twist on rice and peas. I love coconut flavored rice, but for me the coconut flavor was a bit lost in this recipe. The flavors also didn't really seem to work for me or my family, even though I enjoy all of the ingredients usually. The rice needed about 10 more minutes cooking time for me.
Made this for dinner tonight along with Jerk Chicken, was great..we did have to add extra water because the rice was not cooked all the way..great flavor.