1/4 Photos of Island Mojito Chicken and Rice With Salsa Tropicale
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
Delicious mojito chicken surrounded by an ocean of tasty rice and topped with a fresh salsa. This is a long recipe with lots of ingredients but it makes an entire meal that will please both company and family. I hope you enjoy this creation I made for RSC8.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -2 1/2 lbs chicken breasts (4)
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/2 cup mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (optional)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or 1/2 hot pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced, any color
- 1/2 ripe plantain, peeled and diced
- 1 chili pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 -4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 small orange, peeled and diced
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- cayenne, may be used for added heat
- 1Combine all marinade ingredients together in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a zipper seal bag. Add chicken breasts and allow to marinade in refrigerator for 2-4 hours. Discard marinade after that time.
- 2At this point the chicken may either be roasted in the oven at 425 F or cooked on a grill. Cook just until meat is no longer pink in middle. About 20 minutes. Turn once during cooking.
- 3Rice: Add olive oil to a medium sauce pan with a tight fitting lid placed over medium heat and warm for one minute,.
- 4Add rice and saute stirring almost constantly until rice begins to turn clear and just a little brown on the edges.
- 5Toss in remaining ingredients EXCEPT WATER and saute for one minute.
- 6Add water, stir and cover tightly.
- 7Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes. Lift lid and check to ensure rice is thoroughly cooked. If not, recover, turn off heat and let pan remain covered on warm burner for a few minutes. Fluff with fork and remove from heat when rice is tender.
- 8Salsa: Place diced tomato, bell pepper, hot pepper, onion, orange and cilantro in a bowl.
- 9In a separate bowl mix the zest and lime, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and cayenne, if desired.
- 10Pour liquids over fruit and mix well. Let stand at room temp for at least 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve salsa at room temperature. NOTE: Salsa can be made up to 24 hours ahead, mixing liquid and fruit together just before cooking the rice and allow salsa to warm to room temperature.
- 11To SERVE: Place chicken in center of plate, surround with a circle of rice, place salsa on top of chicken.
- 12Note: Feel free to adjust seasonings to your liking. Amount of hot pepper can be increased or omitted if you prefer.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Island Mojito Chicken and Rice With Salsa Tropicale
Serving Size: 1 (646 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 790.0
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 785.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 22.1 g
- Protein 53.6 g