Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I purchased a product called Island Ketchup. It is supposed to be from Jamaica and it is too hot because it is made with habaneros. It was sweetened with pineapple and mango puree and ingredients that I cannot pronounce. This version is still spicy and hot, but not habanero hot, if you know what I mean. You can certainly use habanero hot sauce if you like with this. It is also budget friendly and a bit more natural because it is sweetened with onions, bell pepper, applesauce, and real maple syrup. Use as you would ketchup, as a dip for fries, or a sandwich spread. Also makes a great barbeque sauce.
- 236.59 ml ketchup
- 59.14 ml applesauce
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 59.14 ml ponzu sauce
- 59.14 ml maple syrup
- 59.14 ml water
- 28.39 ml hot pepper sauce (to taste, such as Franks)
- In a saucepan, stir all ingredients together and cook over low heat until onions and peppers are softened to the point that they are fully incorporated, about 1 hour.
- If needed to maintain consistency, add additional water.
- Stir in hot sauce to taste.
- Let cool to room temperature, then store covered in the refrigerator for up to a month.