Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I was in the mood for something different today and this is what I came up with.
- 2 slices rye bread or 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 2 ounces pineapple tidbits or 2 ounces pineapple slices, drained
- 4 slices deli ham (thin slices)
- Butter one slice of bread and place in cold skillet, butter side down.
- Spread cream cheese on bread in skillet. Arrange pineapple on cream cheese, using enough to cover. Layer ham slices on top. Top with other slice of bread and butter the outside of that slice.
- Fry over medium heat until toasted, flip and continue until both sides are toasted and filling is warmed.
Just made this for a quick solo dinner meal, and it was pretty delicious. I would probably use better (read: sturdier) bread next time, and add a bit more cream cheese, but this was really solid - very quick - solution in a moment of hunger. I appreciate a creative take on an easy idea, and this definitely qualifies. I'll be making this again, with a bit more trial and error to see where I can take this.
When I mentioned this sandwich to my husband he had a big smile on his face. He loves pineapple. I made it as directed except for the rye bread which I didn't have. I used a homemade oatmeal bread which was yummy. The pineapple and cream cheese were delicious. My mom used to mix that together when I was little with walnuts and put it between bread in my lunchbox, so I knew I would like it. Thanks Marg for thinking this gem up. We loved it and will make it again. Edit: Opps, forgot to click on the stars.
Delicious, these had everyone standing around the kitchen hoping I was making more! I used a fresh pineapple sliced thin and some "English toasting bread" - a nice white I picked up at the store. Thank you for posting!