Recipe by RHOS
This recipe comes from Everybody Grills! by Char-Broil. I'm always looking for new grill recipes that stick to the basics (picky family) with some subtle new flavors (trying to branch out the picky family). The family loved it, the leftovers, while few, reheated well! Served this over rice with a green veggie side.
Top Review by JerkMaster
Great recipe - to make it like you get in Jamaica, Use pimento wood smoke chips to cook with. Pimento, also know as Jamaican Allspice, is the key to truly authentic jerk.The traditional way to cook Jerk chicken uses all of the Pimento tree: The fruit is the pimento allspice berry used for spice / The wood is used to make smoke and also sticks can be used to make a cooking grate / and the leaves are used for flavorful steam. Fresh leave as a bed for meat. or, dried leaves placed in a pan of water on the heat of the grill
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce (I use low sodium, darn high blood pressure)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper (I used a little more)
- wood skewer, soaked in water over 1 hour (bamboo worked for me)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the chicken and pat it dry. Cut each breast in half lengthwise, then each half into two strips (can do more if the breast is really thick/wide, looking for about a 1/2 inch strip or even a little less).
- Place the strips in a storage bag.
- Combine the soy sauce and next eight ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth.
- It's going to be an icky green color, don't fear as I initially did!
- Pour mixture into the bag over the chicken, seal and marinate in the fridge for up to 24 hours; squish around a few times over the marinating period.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Thread chicken strips on skewers, place on grill over direct heat, close lid.
- Grill on each side until done (approx. 5 minutes per side).