1 hr 35 mins
Dorine Houston's Note:
A spicy blend of goat meat and vegetables recalls island nights. If you do not have access to goat meat, use bone-in chicken thighs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, minced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, peeled and minced
- 1 lb goat meat, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 chayotes, cut into lengthwise strips
- 1/4 fresh coconut, julienne
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups water
- 2 yellow bell peppers, roasted and peeled, cut into lengthwise strips
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted and peeled, cut into lengthwise strips
- 0.25 (4 ounce) can green curry paste, to taste
- 1 coconut, its liquid
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice (or more as needed)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered lengthwise
- 1 handful fresh cilantro stem
- 2 fresh limes, cut into wedges
- 1Scrub limes well. Use a peeler to remove only the zest. Set zest aside and juice the limes. Set juice aside.
- 2Heat peanut oil in a heavy skillet until shimmering. Add garlic, onion, ginger and lemon grass; cook, stirring, until tender but not beginning to brown. Add goat meat and reduce heat to medium; cook until all sides are brown but the interior is not cooked. Add lime zests, sweet potatoes, chayotes, coconut, rum and stock/water. Simmer 45 minutes. Add water as needed but take care towards the end of the cooking time, as the final result should be stew rather than soup. You may also use a little more rum, but take care to taste first.
- 3Meanwhile, dice half the red and yellow pepper strips.
- 4At the end of the simmering time, stir in the pepper dice and some of the curry paste. Taste and add more curry paste accordingly. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in coconut liquid; simmer, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Stir in reserved lime juice and remove lime zest. Turn off heat and taste before adding salt as desired.
- 5Place cooked rice on a platter and make a well in the middle, mounding it around the edges. Put the goat curry mixture into the well. To garnish the top of the stew, alternately arrange strips of red and yellow peppers in spoke formation. Arrange the egg quarters around the edges and arrange or scatter cilantro prettily. Place lime wedges around the edges of the rice.
- 6Diners can squeeze lime juice over their own portions to taste.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Island Goat Curry
Serving Size: 1 (581 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 733.7
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 161.4 mg
- Sodium 347.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 38.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green curry paste