Recipe by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
This fruit salad has a bit of a temperature so watch out. The combining of sweet and sour, spicy and mild, cooked and raw makes this a truly unique taste fest--enjoy!
Top Review by MISSIB
this was nice for a party, but a little to hot for my taste, if i were to do again i would leave out cayenne. could'nt find scotch bonnet peppers i had invited neighbors in for tasting, some really liked it and took recipe home with them. A club member says she'll serve it at their luau so it was worth making. Thank you for sharing.
- 4 acorn squash
- 4 large plantains
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 large grapefruit
- 2 small papayas
- 2 large mangoes
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons coconut (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons scotch bonnet peppers
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the top 1/3 off each of the 4 large acorn squashes, hollow out, leaving 1/2-inch thick walls. Spread lemon juice around the inside to prevent browning, save the meat for another recipe. These will be the serving bowls for you salad.
- Peel and cut plantains into 3/4-inch thick slices.
- Soak the slices in salted water for 30 minutes, drain, and pat dry.
- Heat oil in skillet, and fry plantains for 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove and transfer to a board, cover with paper towel. Flatten with the palm of you hand to about 1/2 the original thickness.
- Brush plantains with butter, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and cayenne.
- Grill over medium coals for 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove, slice into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Peel and cut grapefruit into bite size pieces.
- Peel, seed and slice papayas.
- Peel and slice mangoes.
- Cut scotch bonnet in half, remove seeds and stem. Mince. Be sure to wear gloves or use a baggie on the hand you use to hold the pepper.
- Combine grapefruit, papaya, mangoes, raisins, and coconut in a bowl.
- Mix minced scotch bonnet, lime juice, and brown sugar. Drizzle mixture over fruit and toss gently.
- Transfer the fruit salad to the four squash bowls. Top with heavy cream.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1/2 hour before serving.
- Top with crispy plantains.