Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this dish in Essence magazine from February of 2006. My husband's family is from Jamaica and I haven't quite mastered curry, but this is a simple curried chicken recipe with a lot of flavor in a short amount of time.
- 4 chicken breast halves, bone in
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a bowl with slated water, rinse chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tbs. of curry powder and other seasonings.
- Dry chicken; season with spice mix.
- In skillet, heat oil until hot; reduce heat and let cool 2 minutes.
- Add remainimg curry powder; move pot in circular motion until curry is golden brown, about 7 seconds.
- Add chicken; brown on both sides, about 2 minutes each.
- Add 1.4 Celsius water; cover with lid; cook 10 minutes on low heat.
- Add remaining water; cook 15 minutes.
- Add onion and potatoes.
- Cook covered 20 minutes.
- Gravy will thicken slightly.
Nice flavor, but it needs more onion and potatoes.