Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is the easiest way to make sweet and sour chicken.
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple slices in syrup
- 2 lbs chicken parts
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green pepper, cut in squares
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Drain pineapple and reserve liquid.
- Put chicken parts in bottom of slow-cooker.
- Mix together pineapple syrup, chicken broth, vinegar, brown sugar, and soy sauce in a saucepan.
- Heat until brown sugar dissolves.
- Pour over chicken.
- Heat on high for one hour.
- Add pineapple chunks, garlic and green pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 7- 9 hours.
- Half an hour before serving mix together cornstarch and water and add to the slow-cooker.
This recipe was sooo easy and we all loved it!! I changed it slightly by adding onion,carrot and green beans and omitting the capsicum.Also I took the chicken from the bones and thickened the sauce in a saucepan on the stove just before serving.WONDERFUL!!
This recipe is very easy and the chicken turns out quite moist! The one change I might make next time is to use 1/4 cup brown sugar instead of only 2 tbs. Sweetness was all this recipe lacked. I served with rice and was delighted with the results! Thanks so much, Mirj!
I used some of the suggestions given...1/4 c brown sugar, red pepper, meant to do carrots but forgot. It was more involved than I like with crockpot recipes...I prefer to just throw things in and take off. To help with the morning time crunch, I cooked the broth mixture (step 3) the night before and put it in a dish till I assembled the ingredients in the pot in the morning. I didn't have the time to cook it on high for the first hour so just cooked it on low the whole day. I transferred the juice to a saucepan to thicken. It tasted good on the rice. The flavor was nice and we enjoyed it but I'm not sure it was worth the work enough to make again.