Island Creek Grilled Oysters With Fennel and Sage
- Shuck oysters, reserving natural juices and bottom shells.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil on medium and add fennel, stirring frequently, and saute until soft and beginning to color, about 4-6 minutes. Add apple and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add oyster liquid and increase heat to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in zest, juice and sage. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to high. Carefully place oyster meat in reserved shell bottoms and top with fennel mixture. Transfer to grill, being careful not to spill juices.
- Grill until juices begin to bubble and meat is warmed through. Serve immediately.