Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from the Island Creek Oyster Bar in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 24 oysters
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, cored shoots removed diced (save fennel top for other uses)
- 1 cup mcintosh apple, finely diced
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 leaves fresh sage, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Shuck oysters, reserving natural juices and bottom shells.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil on medium and add fennel, stirring frequently, and saute until soft and beginning to color, about 4-6 minutes. Add apple and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add oyster liquid and increase heat to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in zest, juice and sage. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to high. Carefully place oyster meat in reserved shell bottoms and top with fennel mixture. Transfer to grill, being careful not to spill juices.
- Grill until juices begin to bubble and meat is warmed through. Serve immediately.