Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 8 ounces unsweetened pineapple, crushed (with juice)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 4 chicken breast halves, skinned and boned (6 ounces each)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, minced (wear plastic gloves when handling)
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, minced
- Strain the pineapple; reserve the juice. Place the pineapple in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- Place the pineapple juice in a shallow nonmetal dish.
- Add the soy sauce, honey, garlic, and red-pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Add the chicken and turn to coat all sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat the grill or broiler. Coat the grill rack or broiler pan with no-stick spray.
- Remove the pineapple from the refrigerator. Add the onions, brown sugar, lime juice, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro. Mix well. Let stand at room temperature.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade; reserve the marinade. Grill or broil 4" from the heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn and cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Check by inserting the tip of a sharp knife into 1 breast.
- Transfer the marinade to a small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, or until reduced by half.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Top with the salsa.
- To freeze, pack the cooled cooked chicken and sauce in a freezer-quality plastic container.
- Pack the salsa in a separate freezer-quality plastic container.
- To use, thaw both overnight in the refrigerator, Cover the chicken and microwave on high power for, 3 minutes.
Very tasty, however, if you like spicy/hot, you will need to add more red pepper flakes.
Great recipe, the salsa is excellent. I'd add more jalapenos because it lacked heat for my tastes but I'll definitely make this again. Thanks.
I just finished eating this and it was one of the moistest, tastiest chicken recipes. The salsa is awesome and it makes it nice summer fare. I added more cilantro and lime and used fresh pineapple as I had one that was getting overripe (which is why I searched for a chicken and pineapple recipe). I only marinated 5 hours, but think it would be even better overnight. Thanks for posting.