1/2 Photos of Island Chicken With Mango
1 hr 15 mins
A simple chicken dish with a mélange of tropical island flavours ... Please read my instructions, as the Zaar software can be VERY strict with me and doesn't always accept my descriptions the first time round!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 chicken breasts, deboned but skin on
- flour, for preparation of breasts
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, ditto
- 1 yellow bell pepper, ditto
- 1 red chili pepper, hot, seeded and chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup coconut, dessicated, unsweetened*
- oil (for frying)
- 100 ml rum, amber, good quality
- 120 ml fresh cream
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped and mashed
- 2 limes, grated rind of or 1 lemon, finely grated rind of
- 3/4 cup raisins, plump, preferably seedless
- 2 mangoes, ripe, peeled, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1*If the sweetened type is all you can find, use that as it will improve rather than spoil the dish.
- 2Please note that I meant the RIND of either 2 limes or 1 lemon. The Zaar robot hits me over the head if I say "Finely grated rind of -- ".
- 3Prepare all your ingredients and have it at hand, then it's such an easy dish.
- 4Put the rice on to cook with the water and salt.
- 5Prepare the onions and peppers. Heat a generous film of oil in a roomy pot. You could use a large pan, but using a pot is easier with this kind of recipe.
- 6Add the prepared onions and peppers all at once, stir well, keep heat medium, and fry until soft, stirring often. If it threatens to catch, add a dash of water. You could also use lower heat, put on the lid, and leave it to get on by itself while you prepare the chicken.
- 7Flour a chopping board lightly. Using a meat mallet, pound the breasts a little thinner, skin and all. Turn, use a little more flour on the skin, and repeat the abuse.
- 8When the onions and peppers are soft, remove from pot with a slotted spoon and keep warm in a bowl in a low oven.
- 9Add more oil to the pot if necessary, and heat up a little.
- 10Cut each chicken breast, across, in three pieces. Dip each into the beaten egg, then roll in the coconut. (Use more coconut if needed). Fry the chicken over medium heat, stirring and turning every now and then. It doesn't matter if the coconut comes off, but don't let it burn. Rather add a dash of water. Cook until chicken is done, 15 - 20 minutes.
- 11Add salt while the chicken is frying.
- 12Turn heat down, and add the garlic, rum, cream, lime or lemon rind, and the raisins. Stir through gently.
- 13Add the prepared peppers and onions. Do not let it boil actively, just bring to a simmer, then add the mango pieces and stir through again. Simmer very gently for a minute or two.
- 14Taste for seasoning: it will almost definitely need more salt.
- 15It improves on standing in a warming oven.
- 16Serve with the cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Island Chicken With Mango
Serving Size: 1 (989 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1378.5
- Calories from Fat 678
- Total Fat 75.4 g
- Saturated Fat 42.5 g
- Cholesterol 371.9 mg
- Sodium 820.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 46.3 g
- Protein 59.6 g