Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious creamy chicken stew that will take you to the islands!
Make and share this Island Chicken Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 4 large chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red onion, slivered
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh papaya, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 scotch bonnet pepper, more for more heat
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 cup zante currants
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dried unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 orange, juice of
- 2 -3 spaghetti squash
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 1 cup papaya, diced
- 1⁄4 cup grated coconut
- Cook chicken, onion and garlic in olive oil for 5-7 minutes in a hot skillet.
- Melt butter in a large stock pot and add the flour, stirring constantly for 2 minutes to make a roux. Add 4 cups of 1/2 and 1/2 and whisk until smooth. Add chicken stock, papaya, sweet potatoes, red pepper, scotch bonnet pepper, curry paste, grated ginger, zante currents, coconut, orange zest, orange juice, marjoram, salt, pepper, and wine and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Steam spaghetti squash for 10-15 minutes and scrape out into a bowl.
- Mound squash into a bowl or deep plate, ladle some chicken stew around it, top with sour cream and sprinkle on grated coconut, mango and papaya.
This was definetly different but really good. My husband loved it over the squash.
Excellent, really scrummy. According to our taste I added extra garlic, chilli & ginger & as I didn't have any squash I served with tagliatelli. Easy to make, will be having this again soon, many thanks Pheobe.