Dorine Houston's Note:
Delicious with rum punch or frozen margaritas while you are waiting for the main course to cook on the barbeque grill! You can also use this as a main dish for 2 if you like. I created this recipe with this contest in mind, because I love mangoes and thought they would liven up the chicken breasts, which I don't much care for (I strongly prefer thighs and furthermore consider them more characteristic of island cuisine than the breasts). Time listed does not include the overnight marinating; keep it in mind.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 inches fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 mango, minced
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons light rum
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breast halves, cut into large cubes
- 2 1/2 mangoes, cut into 1 cubes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 ounce fresh cilantro (or more to taste)
- 1 plantain (for tostones, recipe below)
- 1Combine minced garlic, ginger and mango on a cutting board and mince together with the salt to form a paste. Scrape mixture into a glass or pottery bowl and whisk in the oil. Add rum and combine until smooth. Add the chicken chunks and toss together well. Refrigerate overnight, covered. Toss every hour while you are awake, at least 3 times.
- 2Light the barbeque grill. Place the marinated chicken on long skewers. Brush the chicken with some of the marinade. When the fire is ready, cook the chicken on all sides until about half done. Remove to a platter and brush on more marinade.
- 3When cool enough to handle, remove from long skewers. On short individual skewers, alternate chicken, mango chunks and tomatoes. Brush all with marinade. Return to grill and cook on all sides until done.
- 4Arrange on a platter and garnish with cilantro. Serve with tostones.
- 5To Make the Tostones.
- 6Peel 1 large plantain and cut it into 1/2” thick slices.
- 7Melt 1/2 cup lard, peanut oil or coconut oil (or a combination) in a deep pot; it should be at least 2” deep. Add a cube of bread; when it is browned, add plantain slices and cook until softened.
- 8Remove and flatten each slice (use a tostonero or flatten between 2 heavy plates or under the broad side of a meat cleaver). Soak 2 minutes in salty water. Pat dry and return to hot fat. Cook until browned. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Island Chicken Appetizer Platter
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 193.4
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 152.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: