Recipe by TXsmoore
I received this recipe from a friend and altered a few of the ingredients to make it just right. It's a marriage of spicy sweet and the best part is it's HEALTHY! You can substitute chunky salsa for the Pico de Gallo, or make your own fresh Pico! If you do use chunky salsa you will need to let the topping thicken by adding an additional 2-4 minutes.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper, ground
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks (keep the juice)
- 1 (12 ounce) container pico de gallo (consists of chopped tomatoes, onion, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, and lime juice)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (leaves pref.)
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 cups cooked white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix equal parts of chili powder, paprika, cumin, and black pepper together in small bowl (approx 1 1/2 TBS of each spice). Set aside.
- Rinse and dry chicken breasts. Use preferred method of tenderizing (I pound them down to 1/4-1/2 inch width then sprinkle meat tenderizer on both sides and wait 5 minutes).
- Rub your prepared spice mixture over entire chicken breasts.
- Brown chicken in olive oil. Remove and keep warm.
- Using the same skillet you used to brown the chicken keep the drippings. Now add pineapple with juice along with the Pico de Gallo and simmer in pan on med-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle oregano over pineapple-pico mixture. Turn off heat.
- On each plate stack one chicken breast over cooked rice, then using slotted spoon, spoon the pineapple-pico-oregano topping over chicken breast.