I received this recipe from a friend and altered a few of the ingredients to make it just right. It's a marriage of spicy sweet and the best part is it's HEALTHY! You can substitute chunky salsa for the Pico de Gallo, or make your own fresh Pico! If you do use chunky salsa you will need to let the topping thicken by adding an additional 2-4 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper, ground
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks (keep the juice)
- 1 (12 ounce) container pico de gallo (consists of chopped tomatoes, onion, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, and lime juice)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (leaves pref.)
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 cups cooked white rice
- 1Mix equal parts of chili powder, paprika, cumin, and black pepper together in small bowl (approx 1 1/2 TBS of each spice). Set aside.
- 2Rinse and dry chicken breasts. Use preferred method of tenderizing (I pound them down to 1/4-1/2 inch width then sprinkle meat tenderizer on both sides and wait 5 minutes).
- 3Rub your prepared spice mixture over entire chicken breasts.
- 4Brown chicken in olive oil. Remove and keep warm.
- 5Using the same skillet you used to brown the chicken keep the drippings. Now add pineapple with juice along with the Pico de Gallo and simmer in pan on med-high heat for 5 minutes.
- 6Sprinkle oregano over pineapple-pico mixture. Turn off heat.
- 7On each plate stack one chicken breast over cooked rice, then using slotted spoon, spoon the pineapple-pico-oregano topping over chicken breast.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Island Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 636.7
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 131.6 mg
- Sodium 183.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 21.0 g
- Protein 57.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pico de gallo