Prep 24 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Originated from the Good Eats episode, 'Down and Out in Paradise'
Pink Pickled Onions
- 8 ounces champagne vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 serrano chilies, seeded
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 lb firm white flesh fish
- 1⁄2 lb small scallop
- 1 medium solo papaya, peeled seeded and diced (save skins of 2)
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 serrano peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 cup vidalia onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon white wine worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Mexican hot sauce
- 2 ounces tomato juice
- Pickled Onions: Bring vinegar, sugar, and chiles to a boil in a small saucepan, stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Place the onions in a plastic container and pour the hot liquid over them.
- Move the container to an ice bath to cool.
- Serve chilled.
- Ceviche: Add scallops and fish to lime juice and toss to coat.
- Marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- Drain off lime juice.
- Toss papaya, tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, and jalapeño evenly to combine.
- Add Worcestershire, hot sauce, and tomato juice.
- Toss to combine.
- Fill papaya skins with mixture, top with pink pickled onions.