Prep 24 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Originated from the Good Eats episode, 'Down and Out in Paradise'
Make and share this Island Ceviche Salad with Pink Pickled Onions recipe from Food.com.
Pink Pickled Onions
- 8 ounces champagne vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 serrano chilies, seeded
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 lb firm white flesh fish
- 1⁄2 lb small scallop
- 1 medium solo papaya, peeled seeded and diced (save skins of 2)
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 serrano peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 cup vidalia onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon white wine worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Mexican hot sauce
- 2 ounces tomato juice
- Pickled Onions: Bring vinegar, sugar, and chiles to a boil in a small saucepan, stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Place the onions in a plastic container and pour the hot liquid over them.
- Move the container to an ice bath to cool.
- Serve chilled.
- Ceviche: Add scallops and fish to lime juice and toss to coat.
- Marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- Drain off lime juice.
- Toss papaya, tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, and jalapeño evenly to combine.
- Add Worcestershire, hot sauce, and tomato juice.
- Toss to combine.
- Fill papaya skins with mixture, top with pink pickled onions.