Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
Flavorful ribs with mango, chipotle, and tequila. These are prepared the day before serving so that the flavors can mellow.
- 5 lbs extra-lean short rib of beef, cut across bone in twelve 3- to 4-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups mango nectar, plus
- 3 tablespoons mango nectar
- 1⁄2 cup tequila
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 1 large scallion, chopped
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season ribs with salt and pepper. Heat nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown ribs, 7 to 10 minutes. Put in large deep ovenproof pot.
- Drain the fat from skillet, and then heat the oil over medium-high. Add leeks; saute until browned, 8 minutes. Add 2 cups nectar, tequila, broth and chipotle; simmer 1 minute. Pour over the ribs.
- Bake, covered, in 325 degree oven 3 hours or until the ribs are very tender; turn ribs over every 45 minutes.
- Remove pot from oven. Let ribs cool in sauce, uncovered, 30 minutes. Remove ribs from sauce and refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To serve, discard fat from sauce. Add remaining 3 tablespoons nectar and ribs to sauce. Reheat over medium heat, 20 minutes. Top with scallion.
Super delicious. I added about 4 cups of extra mango juice
Really enjoyed these. I had to use onions instead of leeks, and used vermouth instead of tequila (I know, i know, not the same, but all I had), and those worked well. I did not chill overnight, just went for 'em, and was very pleased.
cookiedog, you have made my husband one happy, happy camper for Valentine's Day this year. These ribs are awesome! The ribs are tender and juicy. They also have a wonderful depth of flavor from the mango and tequila and the chipotle chiles give it a great kick too. On top of all that, they are beautiful! Thank you so much for an outstanding meal.