25 hrs 20 mins
Nunzia Jones's Note:
Posted in response to a request. The Iskender kebab has first produced in Bursa. The dish is one of the most delicious and well-known meat dishes of Turkey. Prep time includes marinade time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First make the marinade for the meat.
- 2Place onions in a food processor and process till liquid, discard any remaining onion pulp.
- 3Mix salt, pepper, olive oil, and onion juice in a bowl.
- 4Add diced or cubed lamb pieces and marinade overnight or for 24 hours.
- 5Place marinaded lamb pieces onto a skewer and cook on grill, basting with more marinade until brown and tender all over, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- 6While the meat is cooking you can prepare the Iskender plate.
- 7Warm pita on the grill on both sides and keep warm.
- 8When everything is ready then slice the pita into squares, divide into 4 portions and place as a layer on each plate.
- 9Crush garlic with the salt and add into yogurt, mix well, add extra salt to taste.
- 10Spoon onto the pita squares just before adding hot lamb kebabs.
- 11Cut tomatoes in half and grill slowly until hot, don't overcook, as they will become too soft and soggy.
- 12Repeat with the chilli peppers.
- 13Mix tomato puree with olive oil and pepper and heat in a small saucepan, add salt to taste, and drizzle over kebabs as it is the meat sauce.
- 14Garnish with the grilled tomatoes and chili peppers, and sprigs of fresh dark green parsley or mint.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iskender Kebab
Serving Size: 1 (1217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1422.4
- Calories from Fat 702
- Total Fat 78.0 g
- Saturated Fat 38.6 g
- Cholesterol 332.9 mg
- Sodium 1975.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 37.3 g
- Protein 85.4 g