Recipe by Nunzia Jones
Posted in response to a request. The Iskender kebab has first produced in Bursa. The dish is one of the most delicious and well-known meat dishes of Turkey. Prep time includes marinade time.
Top Review by Nigulya
This is a wonderful recipe. Thank you for posting it. Of course, you need a special equipment to make a classic iskender but this recipe works great for making it at home. Delicious! Thank you!
- 2 lbs lamb, cubes
- 4 large onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- olive oil
- 2 round pita breads
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 cups plain plain yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 large chili peppers
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the marinade for the meat.
- Place onions in a food processor and process till liquid, discard any remaining onion pulp.
- Mix salt, pepper, olive oil, and onion juice in a bowl.
- Add diced or cubed lamb pieces and marinade overnight or for 24 hours.
- Place marinaded lamb pieces onto a skewer and cook on grill, basting with more marinade until brown and tender all over, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking you can prepare the Iskender plate.
- Warm pita on the grill on both sides and keep warm.
- When everything is ready then slice the pita into squares, divide into 4 portions and place as a layer on each plate.
- Crush garlic with the salt and add into yogurt, mix well, add extra salt to taste.
- Spoon onto the pita squares just before adding hot lamb kebabs.
- Cut tomatoes in half and grill slowly until hot, don't overcook, as they will become too soft and soggy.
- Repeat with the chilli peppers.
- Mix tomato puree with olive oil and pepper and heat in a small saucepan, add salt to taste, and drizzle over kebabs as it is the meat sauce.
- Garnish with the grilled tomatoes and chili peppers, and sprigs of fresh dark green parsley or mint.