Recipe by isispleiades
Every year I do a group backpacking trip to the Grand Canyon. This is my preparatory recipe for one nights dinner for 10 happy campers. I'll update this after our trip in March with group notes or any changes made to the recipe. I would like to thank William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin Vegetarian Marinara Sauce and my mom for giving me a launching pad to create this. NOTE: All of the vegetables used are in there DRIED diced form, and the prep time does not include soaking time. P.S. THE POSTED NUTRITIONAL INFO IS WRONG. I estimate that this comes out to just over 450 calories per person of food and for those backpackers out there I think that this is about 3 1/2 lbs for 10 serving dinner. This is a back packing meal, so don't attempt this recipe with fresh ingredients in these quantities, it will not taste good.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons diced onions
- 2 tablespoons bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons broccoli
- 2 tablespoons carrots
- 2 tablespoons mushroom pieces
- 2 tablespoons celery
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato powder
- 12 ounces textured vegetable protein
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese powder
- red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 lbs dry pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Store olive oil in a leak proof container.
- In a zip-lock (#1) bag mix: dried onions, peppers, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, celery and dried tomatoes.
- In a separate zip-lock (#2) mix tomato powder, TVP, garlic, spices and sugar.
- In a third zip-lock (#3) pack cheese powder.
- In a large camp pot, add veggies (zip-lock #1) and 2 2/3 to 3 cups of water allow to sit 20 minutes.
- Add zip-lock #2 to veggies in pot, simmer on camp stove 5 - 8 minutes until textured vegetable protein is tender.
- In a separate pot boil pasta per package directions. Drain pasta.
- Serve pasta with sauce, cheese, and red pepper flakes.