Recipe by jimstoic
This recipe is modified from The New Laurel's Kitchen. It's a traditional Kerala (south India) dish that is almost a sauce. Serve it with idli, dosa or rice.
- 5 medium potatoes
- 3 medium onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons gingerroot, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and cut them into 1" cubes.
- Put them in a 3-quart saucepan with about 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer.
- Cut onions in big chunks--about 1 to 1 1/2"--cutting away the top and bottom layers to separate.
- Add to the potatoes after the first few minutes.
- Cover and cook until onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Put ginger root in blender with enough water to cover and blend until smooth.
- Add to potato-onion mixture when potatoes are just about done.
- Add salt.
- Add coconut milk slowly, stopping before the mixture becomes soupy.
- The consistency should be that of a stew.