This recipe is modified from The New Laurel's Kitchen. It's a traditional Kerala (south India) dish that is almost a sauce. Serve it with idli, dosa or rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel potatoes and cut them into 1" cubes.
- 2Put them in a 3-quart saucepan with about 2 cups of water.
- 3Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer.
- 4Cut onions in big chunks--about 1 to 1 1/2"--cutting away the top and bottom layers to separate.
- 5Add to the potatoes after the first few minutes.
- 6Cover and cook until onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 7Put ginger root in blender with enough water to cover and blend until smooth.
- 8Add to potato-onion mixture when potatoes are just about done.
- 9Add salt.
- 10Add coconut milk slowly, stopping before the mixture becomes soupy.
- 11The consistency should be that of a stew.
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ishtu
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.1
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 400.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: