This recipe can also be reffered to as Kishtah Bil Aasil, which means cream in honey. My husband loves this dessert and is enjoyed in the Palestinian/Jordanian region and perhaps in other parts of the Middle East. *Cooking time does not include cooling time*. I used to use "kanafah coloring" bought at any middle eastern grocers to color the aasil, but food color works the same.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small pot to make the aasil, let boil for about 7 minutes. Sit aside let cool.
- To make Ishtah:.
- In a cup filled with 1/2 cup cold water add the above amount of cornstarch.
- Stir well.
- Place 3 cups into a medium pot and add the cornstarch/water mixture to the cold milk and stir well.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir frequently and let milk come to a boil.
- Let milk boil on low until very thick, but pay very careful attention that milk doesnt scorch all the time it is on the stove.
- Spoon the pudding like cream into small bowls.
- Let cool.
- Then place in the refridegerator until firm, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Before serving spoon the aasil over it, about 2-3 Tbsp or more if desired.
This dessert is very easy to make - it is only for those who have a sweet tooth, though ! I found it way to sweet for my taste, but the kids liked it.