Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe can also be reffered to as Kishtah Bil Aasil, which means cream in honey. My husband loves this dessert and is enjoyed in the Palestinian/Jordanian region and perhaps in other parts of the Middle East. *Cooking time does not include cooling time*. I used to use "kanafah coloring" bought at any middle eastern grocers to color the aasil, but food color works the same.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small pot to make the aasil, let boil for about 7 minutes. Sit aside let cool.
- To make Ishtah:.
- In a cup filled with 1/2 cup cold water add the above amount of cornstarch.
- Stir well.
- Place 3 cups into a medium pot and add the cornstarch/water mixture to the cold milk and stir well.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir frequently and let milk come to a boil.
- Let milk boil on low until very thick, but pay very careful attention that milk doesnt scorch all the time it is on the stove.
- Spoon the pudding like cream into small bowls.
- Let cool.
- Then place in the refridegerator until firm, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Before serving spoon the aasil over it, about 2-3 Tbsp or more if desired.
This dessert is very easy to make - it is only for those who have a sweet tooth, though ! I found it way to sweet for my taste, but the kids liked it.