Recipe by David04
Coniglio all'Ischitana: Rabbit braised with tomatoes, rosemary, basil and white wine Ischia style.
- extra-virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup
- 1 (3 lb) rabbit, cleaned, cut into 6 pieces, liver reserved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, torn
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown rabbit well on all sides in a large frying pan with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, remove and set aside.
- To the same pan, add garlic over medium heat.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary and wine and simmer 5 minutes.
- Return the rabbit to the pan, cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour, until rabbit is very tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the liver and red wine vinegar and mash well with a fork and add to the pan and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the basil leaves and serve immediately.