Recipe by Baby Kato
For best results, use good quality vinegar and olive oil. Store the bottled vinegar and oil in a cool dark place for 2-3 weeks, until ready to use.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
I used the Lemon-Thyme version and it was very nice, flavors blended well and tasted fresh with our green salad. I really liked the addition of the fennel seeds. The only thing I did different was used dry thyme as we have no fresh that I've been able to find. A welcome change if flavors from the usual balsamic and oil I usually use. Made for Rookie Recipe Game
- 1 quart white wine vinegar
- 1 fresh lemon rind, of sliced into strips
- 1 fresh lemon rind, of cut into spiral
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, whole
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, whole
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh thyme, sprigs left whole
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, left whole
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, left whole
- 4 sprigs fresh Greek oregano, left whole
- 1⁄2 fresh lemon rind, of 1-inch strips
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, left whole
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 small red chili peppers, left whole
- 2 cups sweet cherry tomatoes, left whole
- 1 cucumber, peeled, cut 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced thinly
- 1 large yellow sweet pepper, thinly juliened
- 1 cup black kalamata olive
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped dates
- 6 slices romaine lettuce, left whole
- 1⁄4 cup coarsley shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup oil, oregano-rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup lemon-thyme vinegar
- 2 teaspoons white sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Oregano-Rosemary Oil - Peel 2 cloves of garlic and leave whole. Soak garlic in 1/4 cup white wine vinegar overnight. Drain vinegar and add garlic cloves to olive oil. Next add lemon strips, chili peppers, rosemary and oregano sprigs. Pour into jar with a tight fitting lid and place in a dark room for 2-3 weeks.
- Lemon-Thyme Vinegar- Heat 1 quart of white wine vinegar until it starts to boil. DO NOT BOIL. Take the pot off the heat and add into the vinegar,the lemon peel strips, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 bunch of thyme, and fennel seeds. Pour into jar with a tight fitting lid and place in a dark room for 2-3 weeks. When ready to use, strain the vinegar and add the spiral lemon peel, 1 garlic clove and 3 sprigs of fresh thyme into the bottle next pour in the aged vinegar.
- Salad- In a large bowl toss, cherry tomatoes, cucumber chunks, onion slices, yellow pepper, black olives, chopped dates, parmesan and feta cheeses. Mix well.
- Add romaine lettuce slices to the bottom and sides of serving bowl and place salad into bowl.
- Vinaigrette- In a bottle pour your homemade oil and vinegar, sugar, sea salt and black pepper. Shake well and pour over salad.