Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This came about when wanting to make a light quick easy tea for the DM and myself. I started out thinking mushroom frittata but then there was 1 lonely tortilla there and I decided it need to be used so the following recipe was created. I photographed it step by step (after cooking up mushrooms) and is in this thread http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=289609. I didn't accurately measure the ingredients so they are approximate as is the timing. I served with a simple salad. You could cut into small wedges and serve as you would a pizza. You could of course use other fillings other than mushrooms, I have since used steamed vegetables or left over roast vegetables or ham or cooked chicken with vegetables, let your imagination run wild or depending on what you have left over in the fridge.
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced, I used button or small cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 inch) tortillas (to fit frypan or skillet)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk (I use hi-lo which is low fat)
- salt and pepper (I don't use salt but I am generous with freshly ground pepper)
- 1 cup cheese (grated, I use tasty or cheddar)
- Combine egg and milk adding salt (if using) and pepper and whisk well together.
- Melt butter in frypan/skillet over a medium heat and cook mushrooms till tender and there is no liquid, transfer to a plate.
- Put the tortilla into the frypan/skillet, brown on one side and turn.
- Scatter cooked mushrooms over the tortilla and half the cheese.
- Pour eggs over the mix and rest of cheese.
- Pull the egg mix from the edge of the frypan/skillet and swirl the uncooked mix to the edge, when nearly cooked (will still be wet at the centre), put under the grill/broiler and finish cooking till set.
- Slide onto plate and halve and serve.
I loved this recipe. I used a whole wheat tortilla and only 2 eggs, no butter and 2% mixed cheddar cheese. The whole thing came to gether and is very tasty - Lovely light dinner-This recipe will be made again for sure. After you pour in the eggs be careful that the tortilla doesn't get too brown. Thanks Pat for posting it.
I ate this for breakfast this morning and it was good. I used a taco sized tortilla and felt that 3 eggs weren't quite enough, no next time I will use 4. I made mine Mexican style using Mexican Velveeta and topping it off with salsa, avocado and sour cream. The tortilla on the bottom makes this frittata slide out of the pan very easily! Made for MAKE MY RECIPE. Thanks.