1/8 Photos of Is It Egg Roll or Eggroll?
1 hr 45 mins
This recipe was a long time coming. I have been working on it for about 6 months. With the help of Bratty I was finally able to put it down on paper. It is all about the prep, chop before you start. This is not a whip it up in 10 minutes recipe but it makes enough for several meals. The number of egg rolls or eggrolls you get depends on if you add the bean sprouts. My friends and I get together and make them by the hundreds, of course that required more wine! Feel free to leave out any ingredient you do not like, there are no rules with these. Hope y'all like em.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons garlic, minced (at least)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ginger (no powder please)
- 3 big carrots (chopped or shredded)
- 1/2-3/4 head napa cabbage (shredded or chopped,regular will work fine)
- 1 -2 cup bean sprouts (fresh please, leave them out if you do not like them)
- water chestnut (optional)
- celery (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- hot pepper, chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 25 egg roll wraps or 25 lumpia skins, the thin ones, i get them in the freezer section of my local Asian market
- 1Brown the meat in a large pan.
- 2Add onion, garlic, ginger, carrots and some salt and pepper halfway through.
- 3Remove from heat when carrots are tender.
- 4Stir in cabbage and bean sprouts, this will help cool the mixture down.
- 5Taste it now and see if it needs any more salt, good huh.
- 6Drain this mixture VERY WELL, moisture is you enemy in this recipe.
- 7I put it in a colander with a plate on top and a weight.
- 8It will look like there are more veggies than meat, that is a good thing.
- 9Blot it with a paper towel, it does not have to be bone dry, just not puddling and it needs to be cool before rolling.
- 10We are almost there, have a glass of wine while you are waiting for it to cool!
- 11Stir occasionally in the colander to get the hiding moisture.
- 12Lay the wrapper so that one point is towards you.
- 13Put about about 3 tablespoons of mixture across the wrapper.
- 14Here is where I add a bit of cilantro, green onion, chopped hot pepper.
- 15Fold the point that is pointing at you up over the mixture.
- 16Now fold the corner on the right over that, now the point on the left and begin to roll till you get to the end.
- 17Moisten the last point and finish the roll.
- 18Freeze these individually on a cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap than put in freezer bags unless you are eating them right away.
- 19To cook them remove to a cookie sheet (do not thaw) and spray them with Pam, Bratty used garlic flavored and said it was good.
- 20Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, turn over and spray again and bake another 10 to 15 minutes.
- 21They will not get all brown like fried ones but they will be crispy and delicious.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Is It Egg Roll or Eggroll?
Serving Size: 1 (1870 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.1
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.9 mg
- Sodium 200.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: